Do I need one?

There are a lot of situations where a face to face appointment with the doctor is not required as your problem can be dealt with more appropriately in another way:

  • For common ailments such as coughs, colds, 'flu', sore throats,cold sores, nasal congestion, hay fever, back ache, athlete's foot, constipation, period pain, thrush, threadworms and warts or verrucae, your community pharmacy can give you advice. If you are in receipt of free prescriptions prior to the 1st April 2011, your pharmacist can give you medicine on the NHS without you having to pay for it under the minor ailements scheme.
  • NHS 24 (08454 24 24 24) offer telephone health advice and an information service where you can talk confidentially to nurses or health information advisers
  • If you suffer from an exacerbation of a chronic disease i.e. an illness that cannot be cured but symptoms can be treated such as asthma, COPD or diabetes, the practice nurses can help you manage your symptoms.
  • Emergency contraception is available at most of the community pharmacies in Dumfries
  • The practice nurses can offer advice on stopping smoking or you can refer yourself directly to smoking matters
  • The health visiting team can offer support and advice for new mothers and problems with babies and small children
  • For dental problems, you should see a dentist. If you are not registered with a dentist, contact our Primary Care Department on 01387 244000 and they can provide you with a list of NHS dentists in the area.
  • If you are travelling abroad please complete a Travel Vaccinations form which can be downloaded from Practice Documents or obtain a copy from the surgery. Please allow at least 8 weeks before the date of travel to complete the review by the practice staff and the administration of any relevant immunisations. Please note some travel vaccinations are freely available on NHS, others are only available privately and you will be advised of any potential costs when contacted by practice nursing staff.
  • For Alcohol and Drug problems, a free confidential service is offered by Alcohol and Drug Support who provide a self referral service. This is the route for all alcohol and drug problems into the NHS specialist services. Tel 01387 259 999